“What a blessing for me to have been a part of PTB® class of 2019! I feel more confident in the way I run my business. I am excited about the future opportunities and PROUD to be part of such a program with fellow women.”
– Laetitia Mukantwaza, PTB® Rwanda class of 2019
JOIN THE PEACE THROUGH BUSINESS® GLOBAL SISTERHOOD
In 13 years, PEACE THROUGH BUSINESS® has educated and empowered just over 750 women in Afghanistan and Rwanda, including the PTB®/NU Pathways mini-courses. We are energized to continue our efforts annually, beginning each January. Classes in Kabul and in Kigali meet twice a week for 10 weeks (4 hour sessions) to study basic business principles, taking part in lectures, discussions, and break-out sessions under the direction of In-Country Facilitators, Manizha Wafeq (PTB® Class of 2007) and Chantal Munanayire (PTB® Class of 2014). Applications are now open for the class of 2020. Classes begin in January in Kabul, Afghanistan and Kigali City, Rwanda. Class start dates will be announced to applicants in the future.
The curriculum for PEACE THROUGH BUSINESS®, which has grown and evolved with the program over the years, is provided and accredited by our educational partner and sponsor, Northwood University. Upon graduation, students become a member of the PEACE THROUGH BUSINESS® alumnae association in their home country.
“This program is a very professional platform and network for Afghan businesswomen. I am looking forward to using what I have learnt for the benefit of my beloved country Afghanistan.”
– Nastaran Bina, PTB® Afghanistan class of 2019
Beginning in January each year, the 10 weeks of in-country classes (in Kabul, Afghanistan and Kigali City, Rwanda) cover many subjects including accounting, marketing, and operations to women who are blazing trails as entrepreneurs. In addition, students can work with an eMentor to assist in developing a business plan for their future.
By the end of class, these entrepreneurs will have compiled a completed business plan, acquired countless ideas to expand their business, and started a network of real-world connections.
To qualify for PEACE THROUGH BUSINESS®, applicants from Afghanistan and Rwanda must meet the following criteria:
- Have an established business for at least one year
- Own at least 51% of their business
- Provide an official business/trade license registered with their government or Ministry
- After presenting their final business plans to an independent nomination committee comprised of alumnae, government and civic representatives in March, the top 15 of each class are chosen to come to the U.S. for two weeks of Leadership Development.
- Selection criteria for Leadership Development delegates is based on:
- Grades (33%),
- Attendance (33%)
- Business plan (22% written and 12% oral presentation)
To apply for the PEACE THROUGH BUSINESS® class of 2020, download the application and return completed with all required materials as specified in the application to Nikki Sharber at email@example.com no later than November 30, 2019.
The application for the PEACE THROUGH BUSINESS® class of 2020 in Kabul, Afghanistan and Kigali City, Rwanda is due November 30, 2019.
PTB®/NU PATHWAYS MINI-COURSES
- PEACE THROUGH BUSINESS® conducts intensive 5-day mini-courses covering the basic business principles to build a business plan in the more rural provinces of Afghanistan. These courses are certified through Northwood University, our educational partner in the USA. Students have the opportunity to complete business plans with the help of mentors and eMentors by March in order to receive full accreditation. Upon completion, students become a member of the PEACE THROUGH BUSINESS® Network, the alumnae association in Afghanistan.
Fall 2019 PTB® / NU Pathways mini-course provinces and dates:
Daikundi, November 23 - 28
Khost, December 1 - 5
Badakhshan, December 8 - 12
PEACE THROUGH BUSINESS® Graduates are more likely to still be in business and earning more profits than women business owners that have not taken the program. We believe this progress is because of our holistic mission to educate women economically, socially and politically. Furthermore, the mentorship portion of the program often lends the entrepreneur that extra ear and extra guidance necessary when taking on any new endeavor.
Support PEACE THROUGH BUSINESS®
Supporters, if you would like to see the PEACE THROUGH BUSINESS® program continue to grow and reach more women, help us out by donating today.
Though IEEW operates on a minimal, tight budget, the program is nonetheless time consuming and detailed. It takes all of us! We appreciate your support. Reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to meeting the next entrepreneurial leaders from Afghanistan & Rwanda!
YOU have the opportunity to create #peacethroughbusiness. Your ripple can go far beyond the reach of your business to benefit your family, your community, your country... and the world.
If you are a potential student with a question, or if you’d like to get involved with PEACE THROUGH BUSINESS® as a mentor, volunteer or sponsor, please use the button below or email us at email@example.com.